When I awoke this morning, on my first day of sleeping in for the summer vacation, to the sound of a wood chipper, it didn’t put me in the best of moods. And when I sat down to watch Andrea Mitchell shortly thereafter, I was confronted with the new job numbers: just enough to keep up, and keep job numbers at around 8%, a huge improvement over the Bush Administration’s record. Yet, it was seen as a failure by much of the punditry this morning. When I look at the graph, it’s pretty evident to me that there has been great improvement. After all, it takes longer to get the car out of the ditch than it did to get it in there…The pundits do have a valid point, though I don’t see it as dire as their “doom and gloom” predictions do. It’s going to take a while to dig out, and it’s an absolute wonder that we have at all, considering the Republican obstructionism that has been the marching orders of the Rethugs in the legislature. And have they ever been lockstep in their implementation of those orders. Recently, the GOP was forced to approve the Transportation Bill, which means jobs in infrastructure, the only job package they’ve allowed through the legislature in nearly four years. It was a well-played card, with the Dems all on-message, and all of the President’s surrogates sticking to the party line. The President spoke out directly on the bill, in no uncertain terms, and framed the issue so that the GOP had no choice but approve it, or look foolish and obstructionist to the American people. Wish we had such solid skills all the time on our side of the aisle. Hope it’s the beginning of more battles in this style over the next few months. But looking at job growth historically, we see that the party of “small government” has always done the antithesis: they’ve grown government, by adding government jobs to the workforce, funding teachers, police officers and firefighters to the government payroll. As usual with the GOP, hypocrisy rules the day. Now, of course, the charge is that the President has grown government more than any other Administration. But let’s look at the pastfew Republican administrations and their size of government: Krugman demonstrates pretty clearly that, in time of recession, the way that other administrations have avoided job losses, including the GOP, was by growing the government workforce. Why? Because the government has the onyl pockets deep enough to do so. Take a broader look, over several other presidents: Here’s the same data, with a look at both of the Bushes as well. So, who’s the only...
Posts Tagged "obstructionist"
I refuse to cave to a minivan. I am still a tomboy - comfortable in Levi's, my Yankees cap and Converse. And I always have a political opinion...hell, I always have an opinion, period. The hubby, my kids and my friends think I should run for office. Maybe one day. But for now, Momma Politico blogs. Peruse, enjoy, and know that our busy lives are as significant as those in The Washington Post. Cheers, Heidi Haines AKA Perry MacNeil Momma Politico
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Video Overnight Thread- Did the Three Little Pigs Get a Fair Trial? (thepoliticalcarnival.net)
- It's simple math... (bloggingblue.com)
- Ron Paul: Dumber by the Day (bloggingblue.com)
- Cartoon of the Day- Breitbart in Heaven (thepoliticalcarnival.net)
- Quickie: Lawmakers are secretly working on grand-bargain deficit deal (thepoliticalcarnival.net)
- By Limbaugh's definition, all Fox News Female employees are Sluts (they're covered for contraceptives) (freakoutnation.com)
- We Are Wisconsin opens Waukesha office to assist with recall effort (bloggingblue.com)
- Rush Limbaugh Loses Another one: ProFlowers Backs off Advertising on the misogynist's show (freakoutnation.com)
- Israel's Assassins And Tehran's Killers (pubrecord.org)
- President Obama Reverses Controversial 'Indefinite Detention' section of NDAA (freakoutnation.com)