Well, my fellow Politicos, it seems the GOP has reached yet another all-time low. They keep doing that – just when you think they’ve scratched the bottom of the barrel with their misogynistic remarks and hate-filled, unconstitutional laws, they out-do themselves again. Impressive. Earlier this week, Pennsylvanian GOP Governor Tom Corbett did the Democrats one big, gnarley favor. When asked about whether women should be made to watch ultrasound images during their forced pre-abortion procedure (should the invasive PA law go into effect), he simply replied, “I don’t know how you make anybody watch, OK? Because you just have to close your eyes.” Upon hearing this crass, highly-offensive remark, the turn of phrase, “Close your eyes and think of England,” immediately came to mind. For those of you who might be too young to have heard your parents joke about this quote, allow me to give you a brief history lesson. The original line is thought to be this one: “When I hear his steps outside my door I lie down on my bed, open my legs and think of England.” It was found in the diary of Lady Hillingdon in 1912. The meaning, of course, was that an unwilling wife should simply do what was considered her wifely duty, submitting to her husband’s sexual advances, no matter how unwanted. And, yes, there was a time in this country, not all that long ago, (even into the 50’s and 60’s in some areas) when it was still considered one’s wifely duties to do so. If you were married, which was one of the very few ways to gain any financial resources or live independently from your family, and your husband decided he was ready for sex, then your duty was clear. Just close your eyes and think of England. Rape did not exist within marriage. Legalized rape with no recourse for the victim. So along comes the Republican Party in modern times, working hard to keep women barefoot and pregnant, and to codify that into law. First, they attacked Roe v. Wade, trying to eliminate it: stir up the base, get fringe groups to encourage harassment, intimidation and even assassination of providers; then, the “Kill The Pill” movement is encouraged and funded; next, they bring about “Personhood” amendments that will attack safe and legal abortions, but will outlaw hormonal birth control. And the icing on the cake? The internal vaginal probe laws. The GOP gives the state not just the option, but the right to invade the vagina and uterus of women seeking a longstanding, legal procedure. The GOP has legalized State-sanctioned rape. And to reinforce that idea, along comes Tom Corbett. He actually said what all the others were...
Posts Tagged "ultrasounds"
I refuse to cave to a minivan. I am still a tomboy - comfortable in Levi's, my Yankees cap and Converse. And I always have a political opinion...hell, I always have an opinion, period. The hubby, my kids and my friends think I should run for office. Maybe one day. But for now, Momma Politico blogs. Peruse, enjoy, and know that our busy lives are as significant as those in The Washington Post. Cheers, Heidi Haines AKA Perry MacNeil Momma Politico
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Video Overnight Thread- Did the Three Little Pigs Get a Fair Trial? (thepoliticalcarnival.net)
- It's simple math... (bloggingblue.com)
- Ron Paul: Dumber by the Day (bloggingblue.com)
- Cartoon of the Day- Breitbart in Heaven (thepoliticalcarnival.net)
- Quickie: Lawmakers are secretly working on grand-bargain deficit deal (thepoliticalcarnival.net)
- By Limbaugh's definition, all Fox News Female employees are Sluts (they're covered for contraceptives) (freakoutnation.com)
- We Are Wisconsin opens Waukesha office to assist with recall effort (bloggingblue.com)
- Rush Limbaugh Loses Another one: ProFlowers Backs off Advertising on the misogynist's show (freakoutnation.com)
- Israel's Assassins And Tehran's Killers (pubrecord.org)
- President Obama Reverses Controversial 'Indefinite Detention' section of NDAA (freakoutnation.com)