Please note: This is a re-post of a Memorial Day piece from a couple of years ago. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the moment that inspired it. Happy Memorial Day, and my deepest gratitude to those who serve and have served. We cannot repay your sacrifice, but you will not be forgotten. We were running a little behind Friday morning, with everyone tired and on the crabby side. I had a passing thought that it was the Memorial Day weekend, and that we ought to put up the flag. But with all the hustle and bustle, it was a fleeting thought, at best; I figured we could put it up after school, with still plenty of time to commemorate our fallen. As we ran out of the house, Little Man stopped, dead in his tracks, and ran back inside. Good Lord, what now? Did he forget his DSi? Nerf weaponry? Pokemon cards? As I lost my patience, and hollered after him, “What on Earth are you doing? We’re gonna be late for school!” my boy came out of the house, unfurling the flag. “It’s Memorial Day weekend, Mom! It’ll only take a second.” He gently placed it into the holder, regarded his handiwork for a moment. Then he ran to the car, saying, “After all, it’s the least we can do for all those soldiers who gave their lives for our flag.” He quickly buckled himself in as I stood there in awe and wonder at the good heartedness of my son. We have family and friends in Afghanistan this Memorial Day. There is, in this country, a new generation of children growing up without moms and dads, a generation that will lose brothers and sisters and sons and daughters to two, or three wars, depending on who does the counting. The soldiers, sailors, marines and guard members they love did not get to choose these wars, but instead, devoted themselves to a life that they knew may involve surrendering their own life. Whether or not we agree that these wars should ever have happened, or whatever our political affiliations on this holiday, it is vital that we remember the faces behind the uniform, the husbands and uncles, the moms and sisters, and hope for them a speedy return to us so that they may be here to help us celebrate the next Memorial Day. Please take the time this weekend to remember and give thanks for those who gave their lives in the service of our nation. My gratitude to all who serve. And if your life has gotten so busy that the little things that are so important are forgotten in the...
Posts Tagged "Veterans"
I refuse to cave to a minivan. I am still a tomboy - comfortable in Levi's, my Yankees cap and Converse. And I always have a political opinion...hell, I always have an opinion, period. The hubby, my kids and my friends think I should run for office. Maybe one day. But for now, Momma Politico blogs. Peruse, enjoy, and know that our busy lives are as significant as those in The Washington Post. Cheers, Heidi Haines AKA Perry MacNeil Momma Politico
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Video Overnight Thread- Did the Three Little Pigs Get a Fair Trial? (thepoliticalcarnival.net)
- It's simple math... (bloggingblue.com)
- Ron Paul: Dumber by the Day (bloggingblue.com)
- Cartoon of the Day- Breitbart in Heaven (thepoliticalcarnival.net)
- Quickie: Lawmakers are secretly working on grand-bargain deficit deal (thepoliticalcarnival.net)
- By Limbaugh's definition, all Fox News Female employees are Sluts (they're covered for contraceptives) (freakoutnation.com)
- We Are Wisconsin opens Waukesha office to assist with recall effort (bloggingblue.com)
- Rush Limbaugh Loses Another one: ProFlowers Backs off Advertising on the misogynist's show (freakoutnation.com)
- Israel's Assassins And Tehran's Killers (pubrecord.org)
- President Obama Reverses Controversial 'Indefinite Detention' section of NDAA (freakoutnation.com)